Vegan Fava (Broad) Bean Spread
Favas have a very unique taste and combined with Dijon mustard and chilli give this dip a deep, savoury flavour. Dried fava beans are perfect for this recipe, but you can use fresh favas as well. This easy Fava Bean hummus is creamy and full of rich flavour. Perfect for any party, or spread onto sandwiches or pita bread.
- fava beans - 100g (drained)
- tahini paste - 1 tablespoon
- Dijon mustard - 1 tablespoon
- lemon juice - 6 tablespoons
- garlic - 2 cloves (crushed)
- green chilli - 1 (chopped)
- sea salt - to taste
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- fresh coriander - 1 tablespoon
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- cold water - 2 tablespoons
- To cook fava beans, soak them for about 8 hours (overnight). In the morning drain the beans and remove their skins and place in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- While the drained fava beans are still warm, purée them with tahini paste, mustard, lemon juice, garlic and chilli.
- Add cold water, olive oil and season with ground rainbow peppercorn and sea salt. Blend until combined smooth.
- Add fresh coriander and mix well.
- Refrigerate 12 hours and serve with pita bread.