Vanilla Cheese Rolls With Lemon Icing
I made the rolls last weekend and I am in love with these cheese swirls. The dough is so extremely tender and soft, it will blow your mind, and the cream cheese with raisins is delicious. Pour the sweet glaze over the rolls... Devour... Go to shopping and buy new, one size larger pants. 🙂 Invaluable Experience!
- dried yeast - 10g
- milk - 250ml (lukewarm)
- caster sugar - 80g
- plain white flour - 540g plus extra for dusting
- eggs - 2
- unsalted butter - 75g
- smooth quark - 250g
- raisins - 100g
- caster sugar - 2 tablespoons
- vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- hot water - 3 tablespoons
- icing sugar - 100g
- lemon juice - 2 tablespoons
- Put the dried yeast and a pinch of sugar into a bowl, add lukewarm milk and mix well.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it grow in a warm place (the temperature will speed up the growth process). When the yeast mixture has doubled its volume, is ready to prepare yeast dough.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with sugar in the bowl. Melt the butter and cool slightly.
- Put the flour and yeast mixture into a bowl and mix well to form a dough. Gradually add melted butter.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it rest. Leave the dough in warm place for 1 hour, until doubled.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling. Put the quark and raisins in the bowl, add sugar and vanilla extract and mix together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead. Flatten the dough, then roll it into 40 x 30 cm rectangle with a rolling pin. Spread with cheese filling evenly over the dough, leaving 1cm border. Roll the dough up, working towards the border. Do not roll too tightly and do not seal the ends. Cut into 10 – 12 equal pieces with a serrated knife, taking care not to squash the rolls.
- Place the buns on greased baking sheet. Cover with a clean cloth and let it rest for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the rolls are golden brown.
- Once it’s done, remove from the oven and spread the icing. Best eaten worm the same day.