Three Grain Dinner Rolls
These tasty little brown rolls get their name from the three types of flours — wheat, rye and spelt wholemeal flours. The flavour is incredibly rich. Their crust is crunchy and their interior is perfectly chewy and moist. These bread rolls are delicious for a lunchtime or dinner and taste great warm from the oven.
- Makes 8 Rolls
- sourdough starter - 150g (wholemeal rye)
- water - 320g (lukewarm)
- strong wholemeal wheat flour - 200g + extra for sprinkling
- wholemeal rye flour - 200g
- wholemeal spelt flour - 200g
- sea salt - 16g
- olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- rice flour - for dusting
- Combine all the flours, starter, water, olive oil and salt in a large bowl.
- Knead the dough well on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes, until it is elastic and smooth.
- Place the dough in the bowl and cover with a clean cloth and let it rest for 1-2 hours.
- Knead the dough again for 5 minutes, then divide into 8 roughly pieces and pre-shape into rolls. Line the baking tray with parchment. Heavily dust the parchment with rice flour and place the rolls on it.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave it until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Slash the top of rolls with a sharp knife.
- Spray the walls of your oven with water and immediately shut the door. After 5 minutes spray more water.
- Bake the rolls 20 minutes, until golden and well risen.
- Once it’s done, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.