Spiced Chocolate Muffins
They are different than your average chocolate muffin. They’re moist and delicious. The buttermilk lends a delicious lightness and jam inside is awesome.
- Makes 12 Muffins
- self raising flour - 250g
- cocoa powder - 60g
- blackcurrant jam - 12 tablespoons
- light demerara sugar - 120g
- baking powder - 2 teaspoons
- buttermilk - 250ml
- mixed spice - 1 teaspoon ground (cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg)
- salt - a pinch
- sunflower oil - 6 tablespoons
- egg - 2
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with the paper cases and set aside.
- Sift self-raising flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and mixed spice into a large bowl. Add sugar and salt and then make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- In second bowl beat together the buttermilk, oil and egg well. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together gently with a wooden or plastic spoon until a wet batter forms but do not overmix.
- Spoon half the batter into the paper cases. Place one tablespoon of the jam into each paper case, then spoon the remaining cake batter on top.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes until golden and well risen, and a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer all the muffins to a wire rack and sprinkle with extra sugar.