How to Make Homemade Croutons?
Croutons are pieces of bread that have been toasted, either in a frying pan or the oven, until they are crisp and golden brown. You can use them to sprinkle on top of soups or salad. How to make croutons for soups and salads?
- Cut the bread into 1cm cubes. The bread should be a little dry, at least a day old is the best. But if you have only fresh bread, you can use it too. You can use any bread - white, whole wheat or sourdough as well. Personally, I always use my sourdough bread.
- Heat coconut oil or olive oil or butter (what you like) in a frying pan.
- Simply throw the cut bread into a pan in a single layer and fry until golden brown on both sides. Be sure to stir and toss the bread frequently so all sides become crisp and golden.
- Drain on paper towels and cool.
- Optionally you can add any flavouring during frying for example one crushed clove of garlic,
one teaspoon dried herbs (oregano, basil, or thyme), one tablespoon fresh herbs (finely minced) or
three tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan.