Homemade Veggie Pâté with Millet
Sandwiches and crackers will be transformed into savoury wonders by this flavourful spread filled with vegetables, herbs and millet. Veggie pâté is a vegan spread. It's one of my favourite thing to put in a sandwich or toast. This recipe has a lot of ingredients, but this is by far the best veggie pâté recipe I've ever made. Enjoy!
- millet - 150g
- walnuts - 100g (ground)
- leek - 1 (cut into cubes)
- carrots - 2 (peeled and grated)
- parsley root - 1 (peeled and grated)
- celery - 2 sticks (cut into cubes)
- garlic cloves - 2 (chopped)
- fresh red chilli - 1 (chopped)
- sun-dried tomatoes - 4 (in olive oil, chopped)
- bay leaves - 2
- allspice berries - 4
- wild garlic (bear's garlic) - 1/2 teaspoon (dried)
- lovage - 1/2 teaspoon (dried)
- marjoram - 1/2 teaspoon (dried)
- fresh parsley - 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- ground nutmeg - a pinch
- vegetable oil - 4 tablespoons
- sea salt - to taste
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- Boil the millet according to package instruction. Cool and fluff millet and transfer into the food processor. Add ground walnuts.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add leek, bay leafs and allspice berries. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add the carrots, parsley root, celery, red chilli, then carry on cooking gently for a further 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, herbs. Season with salt, pepper and mix everything together. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove bay leafs and allspice berries.
- Add the mixture to the food processor and process until grated. I like some texture to my pâté so I grind everything coarsely and I don’t over-process the mixture. If you prefer a smoother pâté, process until you get a finer/smoother texture.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Oil a small loaf tin and sprinkle with breadcrumbs or use baking paper.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and spread it with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until piping hot and starting to turn golden.
- Leave to cool, then chill well.
- Slice and serve with bread or toast.