- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: For Family
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 80
- Carbohydrate Content: 10g
- Fat Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: <1g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5g
- Sodium Content: 200mg
- Sugar Content: 5g
Herring with Apple and Red Onion
We all love herring and this salad is perfect combination of flavour... apple, onion, thyme and olive oil. I really love this dish - a mix of textures. The crunchy onion and soft apple in combination with the herring and olive oil.
- matjes herring fillets - 250g
- red onion - 1 (cut into slices)
- sour apple - 1 (peeled, cored and diced)
- lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
- olive oil - 6 tablespoons
- fresh thyme - 1 tablespoon
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- sea salt - to taste
- Soak the fish in plenty of water for half an hour. Pat dry and set aside.
- Put the onion in a small bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add apple and turn the heat to low, add thyme. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Cut the herring fillets into 2cm slices.
- Mix the herring with the dressing, season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a dish.