- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: For Family
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrate Content: 13g
- Fat Content: 3.5g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 640mg
- Sugar Content: 3g
Veggie Coconut Rice Bake
This veggie rice bake is fantastic, coconut milk makes up this lovely main dish meal. The smooth creamy rice just seems to melt in your mouth. It’s a great casserole to make for company and you can substitute green beans for your favourite seasonal vegetables during the summer making a great holiday casserole as well! Really tasty, and a delicious way to enjoy a veggie meal.
- basmati rice - 400g
- onions - 2 (cut into 1cm cubes)
- celery - 2 sticks (chopped)
- red pepper - 1 (cut into strips)
- green beans - 100g
- garlic - 3 cloves (chopped)
- ginger - 2cm fresh root (grated)
- pelati tomatoes - 1 tin (drained, chopped)
- coconut milk - 1 tin
- vegetable oil - 4 tablespoons
- vegetable stock - 1000ml
- fresh thyme - 1 tablespoon
- chilli flakes - to taste
- sea salt - to taste
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add garlic and ginger, turn the heat to low. Don't let the garlic get too brown because it will be bitter.
- Add pepper and celery, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add fresh thyme and season with salt and chilli flakes. Remove from the heat, transfer the stir fried vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in the same medium pan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir until translucent for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- To construct the bake, put down a layer of rice to cover the bottom of the 20x30 cm ovenproof serving dish.
- Arrange second layer over rice – stir fried vegetables. Add green beans and pelati tomatoes.
- Mix hot vegetable stock with coconut milk and pour the mixture over rice and vegetables.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until rice is fluffy and liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.