Vegan White Bean Spread
What do vegans use to put on their Sandwiches? If you need or wanted something new to spread on your bread, try this vegan sandwich spread. I serve this pâté on rye bread with pickled gherkins, which is amazing. It also works well as an appetizer, snack, or party dip. This vegetable pâté is flavourful and meat-free, but also high in protein and so delicious.
- butter beans - 1 tin (drained)
- onion - 1 (diced)
- apple - 1 (peeled, cored and grated)
- dried tomatoes - 5 (in olive oil, chopped)
- bay leaf - 1
- allspice berries - 3
- juniper berries - 3
- marjoram - 1 teaspoon
- lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
- chilli flakes - ½ teaspoon
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- cold water - 2 tablespoons
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- sea salt - to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, bay leaf, allspice berries and juniper berries. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft but not coloured.
- Add grated apple and cook for 5 minutes. Add marjoram and chilli flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and cool. Remove bay leaf, allspice berries and juniper berries.
- Put the onion mixture, butter beans and dried tomatoes into a food processor. Add cold water and lemon juice and season with ground rainbow peppercorn and sea salt. Blend until combined smooth.
- Refrigerate 12 hours and serve with crusty bread.