Ukrainian Beetroot Borscht
Borscht (Ukrainian - Style Beetroot Soup) is a soup of Ukrainian origin, which became very famous all over Eastern and central Europe. Different countries make different versions of this soup but beetroot is always a primary vegetable.
- white cabbage - 1/2 head (thinly chopped)
- carrots - 2 (peeled and grated)
- parsley root - 1 (peeled and grated)
- potatoes - 4 (peeled and diced)
- celeriac - 1/2 (peeled and grated)
- beetroots - 5 (cooked, peeled and grated)
- garlic - 2 cloves (chopped)
- red kidney beans - 1 can (drained)
- tomato purée - 3 tablespoons
- vegetable stock - 1000ml
- parsley - 1 tablespoon (fresh, chopped)
- bay leaves - 2
- lemon juice - 3 tablespoons
- allspice berries - 4
- sea salt - to taste
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- sugar - to taste
- sour cream - 100ml
- parsley - for garnish
- Heat the vegetable stock in a large saucepan over medium heat, add chopped cabbage, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. Add grated carrots, parsley, celeriac and diced potatoes. Stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Add grated beetroot's and lemon juice. Add chopped garlic, bay leaves, allspice berries, tomato purée and beans.
- Cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt, sugar and pepper.
- Add a table spoon of sour cream in your soup bowl and sprinkle with a little bit of chopped fresh parsley.