- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: For Family
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 80
- Carbohydrate Content: 10g
- Cholesterol Content: 25mg
- Fat Content: 4.5g
- Fiber Content: <1g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5g
- Sodium Content: 15mg
- Sugar Content: 9g
Poppy Seed Roll – Makowiec
Polish – Makowiec. This traditional Polish holiday bread has a beautiful filling of poppy seeds.
This roll is made from yeast dough which gives a rich and moist texture.
- dried yeast - 14g (2 sachets)
- milk - 50ml (lukewarm)
- caster sugar - 100g
- plain flour - 200g (plus extra for dusting)
- eggs - 2
- unsalted butter - 50g
- vanilla extract - 1/2 teaspoon
- poppy seeds - 250g
- light demerara sugar - 75g
- raisins - 50g
- walnuts - 30g (chopped)
- honey - 3 tablespoons
- orange zest - from half orange
- orange juice - from half orange
- unsalted butter - 1 tablespoons
- candied orange peel - 30g
- egg white - 2
- hot water - 3 tablespoons
- icing sugar - 100g
- Put the dried yeast and a pinch of sugar into a bowl, add lukewarm milk and mix well.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it grow in a warm place (the temperature will speed up the growth process). When the yeast mixture has doubled its volume, is ready to prepare yeast dough.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with sugar in the bowl. Melt the butter and cool slightly.
- Put the flour and yeast mixture and vanilla extract into a bowl and mix well to form a dough. Gradually add melted butter.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it rest. Leave the dough in warm place for 1 hour, until doubled.
- To make the filling: Place poppy seeds in a large bowl and pour boiling water over to soften for 40 minutes. Drain poppies through a cheesecloth covered net sieve. Grind poppy seeds using grinder. Place ground poppy seeds in a large bowl and add orange zest and juice, candied orange peel, sugar, honey, raisins, walnuts and butter. Mix well. Beat whites until soft peaks form and carefully mix with poppy seed filling.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in two halves and shape each into a rectangle using a rolling pin into about 2cm. Spread with filling evenly over the dough, leaving 1cm border. Roll the dough up, turning ends under so filling will not leak out. Wrap parchment paper loosely around the roll. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place two poppy seed cylinders on baking sheet, with a large distance from each other. Let rise 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Bake 45 minutes. The poppy seed rolls are ready when golden brown. Cool in paper.
- Cut paper away and spread the icing over the rolls.