- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: For Family
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 30
- Carbohydrate Content: 6g
- Cholesterol Content: <5mg
- Fat Content: 0g
- Fiber Content: <1g
- Protein Content: <1g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Sodium Content: 700mg
- Sugar Content: 2g
Pickled Gherkins (Cucumbers) Soup
Brined pickles are prepared using the traditional process of natural fermentation in a brine for a period of time, which makes them grow sour. There is no vinegar used in the brine of naturally fermented pickled gherkins.
The soup's flavour can vary depending on the type of broth that is used, such as vegetable broth or meat broth. I use only vegetable stock.
- pickled gherkins - 500g (grated)
- carrots - 3 (peeled and grated)
- parsley root - 1 (peeled and grated)
- potatoes - 3 (peeled and grated)
- celeriac - 1/2 small (peeled and grated)
- vegetable stock - 1000ml
- fresh parsley - 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- fresh cream - 100ml
- salt - to taste
- Heat the vegetable stock in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add grated carrots, parsley, celeriac and potatoes, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add pickled gherkins. Season with salt. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are completely cooked through. If the soup taste isn't defined I am adding the brain from pickled gherkins - sometimes it's even 1 cup.
- Add fresh cream and sprinkle with a little bit of chopped parsley. Serve hot with croutons.