- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 3h 40 min
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: For Family
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 24g
- Cholesterol Content: 40mg
- Fat Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 160mg
- Sugar Content: 3g
Italian Style Cheese Bread
Pane al Formaggio / Italian Style Cheese Bread… my version is made using Irish mild red cheddar instead of Parmesan cheese. This deliciously cheesy bread is perfect for any family occasion. I suggest serving it in thin slices, toasted and buttered - you have a cheese bread to eat with any soup, green salad or as sandwiches.
- Makes 2 Small Loaves
- dried yeast - 7g (1 sachet)
- water - 240g (lukewarm)
- eggs - 2
- strong white flour - 500g + extra for sprinkling
- sea salt - 10g
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- mild red cheddar - 250g (grated)
- sugar - a pinch
- semolina - for dusting
- Dissolve the sugar in 1/4 cup warm water. Add yeast. Stir in yeast until completely dissolved. Let mixture stand until yeast begins to foam vigorously. When the yeast mixture has doubled its volume, is ready to prepare the yeast dough.
- Whisk yeast mixture in the eggs and olive oil into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, water, salt and cheese and mix well to form a dough.
- . Knead on lightly floured surface for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. The texture may be slightly gritty from the cheese.
- Place the dough in the bowl and cover with a clean cloth and let it rest for 1-2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough again for 5 minutes, then shape it into two log loaves. Line the baking tray with parchment. Heavily dust the parchment with semolina and place the loaves on it.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave it for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Slash the top with a sharp knife.
- Spray the walls of your oven with water and immediately shut the door. After 5 minutes spray more water.
- Bake the breads 10 minutes, then reduce to 200°C and bake it 25-30 minutes until golden and well risen. If the bread turns brown to quickly, lower the temperature.
- Once it’s done, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.