- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: For Family
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 150
- Carbohydrate Content: 12g
- Cholesterol Content: 40mg
- Fat Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 140mg
- Sugar Content: 5g
Nutty Sourdough Cookies
A wonderful and delicious way to use your sourdough starter! These cookies taste nutty and buttery. A delicious cross between butter cookies and shortbread, these are the best cookies ever. Enjoy!
- sourdough starter - 100g (wholemeal rye)
- strong white flour - 100g plus extra for dusting
- strong brown flour - 50g
- unsalted butter - 90g
- ground almonds - 2 tablespoons
- walnuts - 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- sunflower seeds - 2 tablespoons
- caster sugar - 40g
- lemon zest - 1 teaspoon
- egg - 1
- sea salt - a pinch
- jam - 1 jar
- Put the butter, grounds almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, sugar, salt, flours and lemon zest in a bowl. Rub together with your fingers until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add egg and starter. Bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto floured surface and briefly knead to help it amalgamate.
- Roll the dough under your palm to make a fat log shape (4cm diameter)
- Cut the dough into 1cm discs.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Place on non-stick backing sheets and press firmly with your thumb to make a wide well in the dough. Spoon one teaspoon of jam into each well.
- Bake at the top of the oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and leave them on the sheet for 5 minutes, before transfering to a wire rack to cool.