How To Cook Millet Perfect Every Time?
Millet is a gluten free grain with many benefits. To most people, millet is considered “bird food” because of its high prevalence in birdseed blends. Millet is actually a very nutritious whole grain perfect for human consumption that's been kicking around for the last 10,000 years. There's another age-old grain, exactly as quinoa. The best health benefits of millet include its ability to protect the heart, prevent diabetes, improve the digestive system, lower the risk of cancer, detoxify the body, improve respiratory health, boost the immune system, increase energy levels, and improve the muscle and nerve health.
- Measure millet and cooking liquid: You'll need 1 part of millet and 2 parts of cooking liquid (water or broth).
- Simply rinse well the millet in a mesh strainer, and drain.
- Toast millet: in a large, dry saucepan, toast the millet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until it turns a rich golden brown and the grains become fragrant. Be careful not to let them burn.
- Add hot water and salt to the pan. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the grains absorb most of the water, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered for 10 minutes.