- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: For Family
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 110
- Carbohydrate Content: 16g
- Fat Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 1g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 200mg
- Sugar Content: 10g
Herring with Red Onion and Raisins
Herring with red onion, raisins and rainbow peppercorn.
Herring is a natural source of Omega-3 fatty acids which probably make you happier and smarter. These oils are a trend food as well. Why do not eat fish instead of Omega-3 supplements? That is the question! The combination of herring and sweet flavours of raisins makes this dish a really exceptionally rich in taste. Have a lovely day!
- matjes herring fillets - 250g
- red onion - 1 (cut into slices)
- garlic - 2 cloves (crushed)
- raisins - 2 tablespoons
- rainbow peppercorn - 1 tablespoon (whole grains)
- sugar - a pinch
- bay leaf - 1
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- sea salt - to taste
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- Soak the fish in plenty of water for half an hour. Pat dry and set aside.
- Cut the herring fillets into 2cm slices and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add garlic and turn the heat to low. Don't let the garlic get too brown because it will be bitter.
- Add raisins, rainbow peppercorn (whole grains) and bay leaf , cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with plenty of ground rainbow peppercorn, salt and sugar.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Mix the herring with the dressing and arrange in a dish.
- Wait at least a day before eating. The herring will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge.