Herring in Tomato Sauce
The herring in tomato sauce is a very affordable dish. Believe it or not, herring is a nutritional powerhouse! To me, it's delicious, simple, and easy recipe. This herring is a great idea for appetizer. This is a recipe my mother in law. When I tasted this herring on the first Christmas at my in-laws - I knew that I will prepare it for every year. So it is today. This is my Family's Christmas Eve Supper dish. Try this herring, it may surprise you!
- matjes herring fillets - 250g
- onions - 2 (diced)
- tomato purée - 4 tablespoons
- sugar - a pinch
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- sea salt - to taste
- Soak the fish in plenty of water for half an hour. Pat dry and set aside.
- Cut the herring fillets into 2cm slices and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat, sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add tomato purée and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with plenty of ground rainbow peppercorn, salt and sugar.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Mix the herring with the sauce and arrange in a dish.
- Wait at least a day before eating. The herring will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge.