Gourmet Sourdough Pizza
I'm experimenting with the sourdough... but my dream was pizza. I like the flavour of sourdough, but this pizza crust exceeded my expectations.
Creating the slightly sourdough pizza crust is a bit more time intensive than using a pre-packaged dough or other substitute dough product. But, for me, the crust is the foundation of any gourmet pizza. I love this one, it's the best pizza ever!
- Pizza Sourdough - makes enough dough for two pizzas
- sourdough starter - 100g (white wheat)
- water - 150g (lukewarm)
- strong white flour - 350g plus extra for dusting
- sea salt - 1.5 tablespoon
- olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- natural yogurt - 1 tablespoon
- semolina - for dusting
- Pizza Ingredients
- tomato sauce - 6 tablespoons
- mozzarella cheese - 1 ball
- mushrooms - 6 (thinly sliced)
- red pepper - ½ bell (thinly sliced)
- onion - 1 small (thinly sliced)
- mozzarella cheese - grated
- tuna chunks - (optional)
- sunflower seeds - (optional)
- asparagus - (optional)
- fresh basil - (optional after baking)
- Four to six hours before baking the pizza: mix together all ingredients for sourdough. Put the flour, salt, olive oil, yogurt and the starter into a bowl and mix well to form a soft dough.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it rest. Leave the dough in warm place for 3-4 hours, until doubled.
- Place a pizza stone on the top rack of a cool oven. Preheat your oven to 240°C.
- Transfer the dough to sprinkled with semolina surface. Divide the dough in half. Form two round balls of dough.
- Working one ball of dough at a time, take one ball of dough and flatten it with your hands. Starting at the centre and working outwards, use your fingertips to press the dough to 1cm thick and continue to stretch it until it reaches the desired diameter – 25cm.
- Transfer one prepared flattened dough onto a piece of parchment generously dusted with semolina.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base, leaving a 2cm border around the edge. Top the pizza with mozzarella, place your desired toppings on the pizza and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake pizza one at a time until the crust is browned and the cheese is golden, about 10-15 minutes.