French Toast / Pain Perdu
French Toast is known in France as Pain Perdu, it means lost bread. This is a delicious, basic French toast recipe made with eggs, milk, and thick slices of French or Italian loaf bread that are several days old (You can also use bloomer loaf). Many people like to sprinkle powdered sugar over their French toast or topped with the maple syrup. I prepared three different types of toasts: the first one with mozzarella, tomato and basil; the second with Gouda cheese, onion and raisin chutney and rocket leaves; and the third with cottage cheese, smoked salmon and dill. The first two are grilled, while the last one is cold. This recipe only takes about 30 minutes to make, and is super easy.
- eggs - 3
- milk - 1 cup
- salt - a pinch
- white bread - 9 slices
- butter - for frying
- Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil Toasts
- Buffalo Mozzarella - 1
- tomato - 1 (sliced)
- basil leaves - for garnish
- Gouda Cheese, Chutney and Rocket Toasts
- Gouda cheese - 3 slices
- onion and raisin chutney - for garnish
- rocket leaves - for garnish
- Cottage Cheese, Smoked Salmon and Dill Toasts
- cottage cheese - 250g
- smoked salmon - 3 slices
- dill - for garnish
- Break eggs into a wide, shallow bowl, beat lightly with a fork. Stir in salt and milk.
- Soak thick slices of bread in a mixture for a few seconds.
- Heat two tablespoons of butter in a frying pan.
- Simply throw the thoroughly soaked bread into a pan with some hot melted butter and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange the cooked French toast on a baking tray and some toasts on a plate (without grilling).
- Thinly slice the mozzarella, place on the toasts. Add tomato slices and basil leaves. Grill until melted and bubbling.
- Place slices of gouda cheese on the toasts. Grill until melted and bubbling. Add one of teaspoon of onion and raisin chutney and rocket leaves on each toast.
- Place one tablespoon of cottage cheese and piece of smoked salmon on each toast and garnisch with dill.