Easy Macaroni and Cheese
Mac & Cheese Stove Top for pasta and cheese lovers! It’s fast, creamy and easy.
This is an amazing base recipe which can be modified in many ways.
- cellentani pasta - 500g (elbows) or any small shape pasta
- mild red cheddar - 100g
- butter - 3 tablespoons
- plain flour - 2 tablespoons
- milk - 400ml
- egg yolk - 1
- white wine - 2 tablespoons
- natural yogurt - 1 tablespoon (Greek style yogurt)
- parsley - 1 teaspoon
- chilli flake - ½ teaspoon
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- sea salt - to taste
- Boil the pasta. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add milk depending on desired consistency. Remove from heat when sauce reaches a creamy and thick consistency.
- Whisk egg yolk. Begin whisking the sauce constantly and add the yolk. Mix well to avoid scrambling the egg.
- Add chilli flake, white wine and Greek yogurt. Stir until smooth. Add in the cheese and stir to melt. Remove the sauce from heat and season to taste.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta and the cheese sauce.
- Serve immediately apart or with broccoli. Sprinkle with parsley over the top for garnish.
- You can also bake the macaroni and cheese into a baking dish to give it a golden crust.