- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 4h 00 min
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: For Family
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 10
- Carbohydrate Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 65mg
Country Sourdough Bread
Amazingly with a little love and care, flour and water turns into an incredible natural 'wild yeast'.
It is this beautiful concoction that creates sourdough bread.
It has enough whole wheat and rye to give it a robust, earthy flavor, yet still retains a moist and open crumb and has a bit of chew.
- Makes 1 Loaf
- sourdough starter - 200g
- water - 300g (lukewarm)
- mix flour - 500g (rye, wheat, spelt - 20% wholemeal flour)
- salt - 1.5 tablespoon
- Place all ingredients (holding back a half of the flour) in the bowl, mix well. Gradually start adding the remaining flour until it forms a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dough with flour. Knock back until it is not sticky anymore by adding flour. The dough will be soft and easy to work with.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it rise in a warm place. Leave the mixture for about 3-4 hours.
- While resting, once in a 30-40 minutes - stretch and fold the dough.
- Cover glass bakeware dish (bottom part) with a clean cloth. Sprinkle with flour and put the dough in it. Let it rise in a warm place. Leave it for about 1 hour.
- Grease a lid from the glass bakeware dish (top part) with butter and put the dough on it. Cover with glass bakeware dish (bottom part).
- Slash the top with a sharp knife.
- Place a roasting pan with water on the bottom shelf of the oven. This will allow steam to be created in the oven and help the bread to rise during baking.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Bake the bread 20 minutes, then reduce to 180°C and bake it 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cover (bottom part of the glass bakeware dish) and bake it 10-15 minutes until golden and well risen. If the bread turns brown to quickly, lower the temperature.
- Once it’s done, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.