Brussels Sprouts Pasta Bake
This easy recipe is basically a pasta and cheese with vegetables. The texture, the flavour, it all adds up to a meal where I am more than happy to add the extra veg. I’m a big pasta fan, and I used Penne pasta, but orecchiette or shell pasta would work as well.
- penne pasta - 250g or any small shape pasta
- brussels sprouts - 250g (trimmed)
- mild red cheddar - 100g (grated)
- White Sauce
- butter - 1 tablespoon
- plain flour - 3 tablespoons
- milk - 200ml
- cold water - 100ml + extra if needed
- natural yogurt - 1 tablespoon (Greek style yogurt) (
- rainbow peppercorn - to taste (freshly ground)
- salt - to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water generously, then add brussels sprouts and let water come back to a boil. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, drain well and set aside.
- Boil the pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add water depending on desired consistency. Remove from heat when sauce reaches a creamy and thick consistency. Mix in Greek yogurt and season with salt and plenty of ground rainbow peppercorn.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To construct the bake, put down a layer of sauce to cover the bottom of the 20x30 cm ovenproof serving dish.
- Put the cooked pasta and white sauce into a bowl and mix well.
- Arrange first layer over sauce – halved brussels sprouts and then spread the pasta mixture. Top with remaining brussels sprouts.
- Cover the whole lot with cheese and the bake is ready for the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until piping hot and the cheese is starting to turn golden.