- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 3h 00 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: For Two
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 24g
- Cholesterol Content: <5mg
- Fat Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 280mg
Baking Cheese Breadsticks
Fluffy breadsticks with cheese inside, and a generous sprinkling of coarse sea salt and caraway seeds.
Cheesy and is stuffed into a bread roll? Yes please!
- Makes 6 Breadsticks
- dried yeast - 7g (1 sachet)
- water - ¼ cup (warm)
- milk - ¼ cup (warm)
- sugar - 1 teaspoon
- strong white flour - 400g plus extra for dusting
- salt - 1 tablespoon
- olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- natural yogurt - 2 tablespoons
- semolina - for dusting
- mild red cheddar - 6 sticks (15cm)
- coarse sea salt - for sprinkle
- caraway seeds - for sprinkle
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup warm water and 1/4 cup warm milk. Add yeast. Stir in yeast until completely dissolved. Let mixture stand until yeast begins to foam vigorously. When the yeast mixture has doubled its volume, is ready to prepare yeast dough.
- Put the flour, salt, olive oil, yogurt and yeast mixture into a bowl and mix well to form a dough.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it rest. Leave the dough in warm place for 2 hours, until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C.
- Transfer the dough to sprinkled with semolina surface. Cut the dough into six equal pieces.
- For each piece, flatten and stretch into a rectangular shape. Drop one stick of the cheese into the centre. Pinch the dough tightly together, bring the edges in and seal well, shaping the roll while you do it.
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse sea salt or caraway seeds.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, until the rolls are golden brown.