100% Rye Sourdough Bread
One of the best bread I've recently baked. And very easy to prepare. But the most important thing is that it is 100% rye and it grows very quickly (approx. 2-3 hours). The ingredients need only stir with a spoon. The taste is slightly different from that of classic brown sourdough bread - is more sour and less sweet.
- Makes 2 Small Loaves
- rye white flour - 500g
- sourdough starter - 500g (wholemeal rye)
- water - 350ml (lukewarm)
- sunflower seeds - 3 tablespoons
- caraway seeds - 1 tablespoon
- sea salt - 1.5 tablespoon
- vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
- Put the flour, salt, starter, seeds and water into a bowl. Mix well with a tablespoon until it forms a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Grease two loaf pans with vegetable oil. Put the dough in the loaf pans (half the dough to each pan). Cover with a clean cloth and let it rise in a warm place. Leave it for about 2-3 hours, until doubled.
- Slash the top with a sharp knife and brush the water over the loafs.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Bake the breads 45 minutes, until golden and well risen. If the breads turns brown to quickly, lower the temperature.
- Once it’s done, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.